Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Happy Autumn/Fall!!!



Happy Season Change Day everyone! Did I just invent a holiday there? Awesome! But seriously, I am excited!!! I LOVE Autumn. The colors, the weather, the scents, the holidays, the everything. Only problem I have with the season is weather to call it Autumn or Fall.

Now according to Grammarist and Daily Writing Tips, both words formed in Britain around the same time, with I believe Fall being a slight bit older. It seems the season started off being called Harvest due to the time being where farms and growing your own food were a big deal. As cities began to become more of a big deal they needed a word that represented the season for everyone. So Fall, that hinted at fall of the leaf, was formed. It seems a short bit later Autumn was born. So what happened after that? Well the two words were used interchangeably for a while until the settlers left Britain for America, and along with them they brought Fall. Now folks back in the Britain feel the word Fall is archaic and poetic and folks in America feel Autumn is archaic and poetic. And while both words co-exist happily in most English speaking areas, one word tends to be more favored over the other. So I guess it just falls, hehehe no pun intended, down to the individual person. I prefer Autumn myself. It just screams colorful leaves, a nip in the air, warmer clothes, and pumpkin pie. Which one do you prefer? Tell me in the comments section, I'd love to know. And if you'd like, share where you are from to see if we can fine preference pattern. I'm from the U.S. where they tend to prefer Fall, but I'm an Autumn girl. :-)

But no matter what you prefer to call the season, it is officially here!!! Well, at least in the Northern Hemisphere. Sorry to all of you Autumn loving Southern Hemisphere folks, but hey, Happy Spring to you all!!! Spring is my second favorite season with all it's pastel colors, beautiful floral scents, and a nice change from Winter's harsh nip and colorless scenes. However Winter is my third favorite, so don't feel I'm giving it total hate. ;-) But do tell me, am I alone in this love of Autumn? Is anyone else out there excited over the potential this lovely season has to offer? You know, I love this season so much I can only find one thing wrong with it. I can't stand that fact that is has to end. :-( Oh well, I've got 3 months of awesomeness to enjoy, so I'd better make the most of it. :-D Let's the waiting for the first leaf to change color and fall countdown begin!!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello my lovelie, what's on your mind?