Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Preheat To 375 Degrees


{source}

I was going to have something awesome to show you today.  A cute crochet elephant for dolls to hold.  It was coming along and I was going to spend the whole afternoon finishing it.  But before I was going to do that, I wanted to try another recipe from my gluten free cookbook.  I made bread yesterday, and it turned out good, if just a little dense.  So today I wanted to make the Coffee Cake Muffins.  Mixed them.  Put them in the oven. Sat talking for a while to my sister.  Timer goes off.  Grab oven mitts.  Reach into oven.  Grabbed hot pan that has been in a 375 degree oven for almost half an hour.  Suddenly feel pain.  Really hot searing pain that almost feels cold.  Realize something’s wrong and toss pan back into oven.  Take mitt off and realize skin on thumb has puckered and turned white and gotten hard.  Chaos ensues.

Yes ladies and gents, I have been inducted into the burn club.  Sure I’ve burned my hand before on something hot but those were surface burns.  This burn is like none I’ve ever felt before.  It went straight through all skin to the very core of my thumb.  What happened?  The oven mitt stitching had come loose.  And I was SO lucky it was just my thumb that got the pain.  The stitching came loose from the thumb to the palm.  So it could have been oh so worse.  I’m glad the bulk of the pan went into my left hand that had the good mitt on.  We had no idea the other one had come unraveled like that.  So I spent the afternoon in pain and freaking out.  Note to others who go through this, if the pain is bad, take a nap.  When I woke up the pain was all but gone. I can actually type fairly well, but I don’t know about doing crochet.  I’ll try it out, but I am not holding my breath. I taught myself how to do it right handed even though I’m a lefty. I just felt it would be easier learning the craft in a “righties world”.  Hehe, jokes on me then.

So yeah, I did have something great in the works to show you. But things got changed.  Maybe tomorrow.  Maybe next week.  Sad smile  Until then I guess I will work on my novel.  I’m off for now guys.  Talk to you all soon.  Be good until then.  Bye for now.

Oh yeah, the muffins turned out good…if just a little dense. *sigh*

Loves ya,
Mouse

1 comment:

  1. Wow,how terrible,I got a 2nd degree burn to my hand when the contents of an electric kettle poured onto it when I was 14-forget to unplug the darned thing before picking it up.I still cringe at the memory and can hear the scream I let out.
    Hope you went to the hospital to get it looked at,because it sounds like you have a third degree burn those often stop hurting pretty fast because of nerve damage -until they start swelling and/or get infected.I'd hate to see someone as artistic as you get permanent damage to a finger.
    Take care!Maricha

    ReplyDelete

Hello my lovelie, what's on your mind?