Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Historic Sunday: The first released Mickey Mouse cartoon.

So why would the first released Mickey Mouse cartoon get a mention in my blog? Well, first of all, why not? And second of all, my mom says when I was a child I had a fascination with Mickey Mouse, which gave me my nickname Mickey. Oddly enough I don't really remember my fascination with Mickey Mouse, but I barely remember my childhood. But somehow I came across this on YouTube and thought I'd share it with just for shock value.



I was shocked by the animal cruelty in this cartoon. I know it was back in a time where it wasn't really frowned upon and got laughs galore, but I am sure back then that this encouraged copycats to try spinning a cat around by its tail and pulling on little piggie tails. I mean PETA got formed for some reason and I am sure it all started with careless cartoons such as this. Also, the bits of Mickey I do remember I don't recall in this Mickey. Perhaps this Mickey was more for an older crowd. The Mickey I remember was more gentle and kinder.

In staying with the first Mickey Mouse cartoons, here is the actual first one made but second to be released.



And here is the third released Micky Mouse cartoon made.



While I find the Mickey of yesteryear completely different from the Mickey of today, I find the cartoons lighthearted, funny, and cute. I could see where these cartoons were made to put a smile on people's faces in a time where things were rough for people.

Did you know that Mickey Mouse wasn't even Walt Disney's first major character? Nope. After Disney finished working on the Alice Comedies...which is actually very cute about a live action girl in a cartoon world, he created Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. So why don't we see more about Oswald? Well Disney made the mistake of not getting ownership over Oswald and lost him to Universal Studios. Big learning lesson for Disney. From then on he made sure he had ownership of all his characters. But it turns out nice in the end. The Disney company traded a sportscaster for the rights to Oswald and all the cartoons Disney made of him, which is the first season. Disney plans to make Oswald a main character in their productions and whatnot once they figure out his story. So if it weren't for Oswald getting nabbed we may never have heard of Mickey. Weird huh? Well below is one of the Alice Comedies and I believe the first Oswald cartoon. Enjoy.





I kind of like taking a look at things in history. I think I will make this a regular thing here on the blog. I'll see what I can find for you all for next Sunday. :-) I think I will call it Historic Sunday. :-) That's all for now. Talk to you all later.

Loves ya,
Mouse

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello my lovelie, what's on your mind?