Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Fleas.

So today I was wondering what I should talk about and then it hit me.  What was my very first doll?  Well to the best of my knowledge my very first doll was one my mom saw in a Sears catalog while we were living in Germany due to my dad being in the military and stationed there for a few years.  She saw this doll and had to have her for me.  So she ordered her all the way from the States to have sent to Germany.

Fleas

When I dug this doll out of the closet I kind of felt sad looking at her as I remembered that I treated this doll very badly as a child.  My brother and I tortured her by throwing her around and just treating her badly.  And to this day I don’t know why.  My brother even named her a rather ugly name for a doll.  He called her Fleas.  And the weird thing is, while I hated the name I started calling her Fleas too.  And she had this “intro” to all our games when she was used.  We’d grab her and shake her all about and go around hollering “Fleas!  Fleas!  Fleas!”  Yeah, we were weird kids.  But poor Fleas was really beaten up in her life by us.  Some of it is evident by her hand.

Fleas

I was a chewer as a child and Fleas was not spared this torture.  I feel so bad that I did this to her hand.  And from all the shaking we did to her one of her leg seams came undone and needs to be mended.  It’s an easy fix, I just need to take the time to do it.

So I never knew what kind of doll she was but looking at her today I found a tag on her and was shocked to see a Mattel tag on her.  So I googled 1979 Mattel baby doll and found out she is a Mattel Baby Love ‘n Touch doll.  When I see her now, I see what a precious baby doll she really was.

Fleas

Not only did she have a pretty face, although the pupils and the whites of her eyes were all blue, but she also had a cute hidden feature of a back flap to her jammies that when opened revealed her vinyl booty.  LOL!

Fleas

She is a stuffed doll but her head, hands, and booty are all vinyl.  I actually forgot about that until my mom mentioned about it today.  So I turned her around and sure enough there it was.  LOL!

Fleas

I must have had some attachment to little Fleas.  She stayed with me while many of my other childhood toys were said good-bye to.  And still I have her, even though she was tucked in the closet.  I’ve decided to bring her out and give her a cleaning, brush her hair, mend her leg and clothes, and perhaps make something new for her.  I was toying with the idea of touching up her face paint but decided against it.  Not everything has to look like new.  She’s going to turn 32 this year and it’s to be expected she’s going to have some wear and tear on her.  So I will leave her as is.  I have plenty of dolls around her to play with if I really must touch something up.

But I just wanted to introduce you all to Fleas, my very first doll.  I asked myself why I didn’t change her name, and honestly she’s been Fleas for so long I just can’t bring myself to change it.  I don’t see it as the negative that it was meant back in the day.  I just see it as a creative name for her.  So her name remains Fleas.  Smile  I’m glad I could share her with you today.  Smile

I’ve gotten some work done on the photostory.  This morning I finished up editing the pictures for it.  I would have liked to have done a little bit better on the edits but it won’t be the last time I do edits like this so next time I will try to get it a little better.  So tonight I will be working on the website and trying to get broken links working and maybe upload the new story.  Don’t hold me to that.  I just know I will be working on the site tonight, but I don’t know how far I will get.  I’ll kee you updated.  Smile  Bye for now.

Loves ya,
Mouse

2 comments:

  1. What a precious treasure. Fleas is a beautiful baby and I grew to like the name by the end of the story. It's all in how you say it. She has a special place now and really always has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait... when was your Dad in the military in Germany? Not to get all nuts but, where were you stationed? It's just that my father was in the military in Germany in the late 70s. Small world, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Hello my lovelie, what's on your mind?